Wednesday, June 10, 2009

When the Moon Hits Your Eye Like a Big Pizza Pie


As my time winds down here in Florida, I've been fortunate to receive lots of invites to join friends for a nibble or a cocktail before I take off. As I mentioned before, good friends are the ultimate luxury, and I consider myself very lucky to have such great people in my life.


I met up with my friend Nancy last night for our long-standing pizza and wine ritual. It's always a great time as we catch up and laugh about all manner of people and things. In addition to the vino and good conversation, we had a really good pizza...from Domino's, of all places.


Now I'm not a pizza snob, but I tend to gravitate toward local shops when indulging in my quest for a good pie. I don't have lots of specifications on what toppings must be included, and try to keep an open mind when sharing a pizza (except for anchovies, can't handle anchovies). Nancy is a vegetarian, and we've discovered a lovely creation from Domino's called the Pacific Veggie, which is part of their American Legends line. The Pacific Veggie has roasted red peppers, spinach, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, and black olives with provolone and feta cheese. Ordered on a thin crust, it's a delicious experience. The vegetables were fresh and the pizza was delivered piping hot, although I'm sure it would be just as delicious eaten cold the next morning (which Nancy confirmed). Knowing that pizza will move to the bottom of the food chain as I move to the land of po-boy's and gumbo, I enjoyed every bite.


So if you're in the mood for a good pizza, give the Pacific Veggie a try. It's a simple pleasure that's worth the money. And for God's sakes, stay away from that pasta in a bread bowl thing Domino's has rolled out--it looks like a total carbfest that's guaranteed to bring shame and tighter pants the morning after.



4 comments:

  1. Hello Kevin! My name is Kerry and I found you from Paul's blog. I live in New Orleans and am a designer at Artisan Kitchen & Bath on Magazine Street. Good Luck with your move and you should stop by sometime!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, I'm a total pizza snob. I've been living in Ottawa for almost 11 years, and I still haven't found THE pizza place. We had good pizza places in Montreal -- I still crave those Montreal pizzas.

    I like making pizza at home, with the dough & sauce made from scratch. If you're interested, let me know and I'll send you the links.

    Domino's just opened a few locations in Ottawa. There are one or two close by, so maybe I'll give the Pacific Veggie a shot. Maybe it'll be THE pizza :-)

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kerry, thanks for stopping by to say hello. I will definitely look you up once I get settled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love the recipe for your homemade pizza, Kelly. Let me know what you think about the Pacific Veggie once you give one a try.

    ReplyDelete