Thursday, June 18, 2009

Good Pig, Bad Pig


I've had two distinct experiences with two kinds of pigs in the last 24 hours. My friend Angelique invited me to join her, her husband Zac and another friend for dinner last night at Cochon. Donald Link opened Cochon a couple of years ago, and has enjoyed critical acclaim for the down home, central Louisiana food he prepares. I was excited to check this place out, as I've read no fewer than five articles about it in the past two years. Thankfully, Angelique works there so we were able to feast on a discount, and feast we did. We shared appetizers of ribs, oysters, crawfish pie, rabbit livers, the evening special (eggplant with city ham and a sunny side up egg), as well as the boucherie plate. All of the meat is butchered and prepared on site, and each plate was absolutely delicious.

Knowing that we were having pork tonight, I opted for the smoked beef brisket served with horseradish potato salad for my entree. This dish was absolutely out of this world, and I enjoyed it with reckless abandon. I was also able to sample some of my dining companion's dinners, and enjoyed the pork tenderloin and the fried pigs ears, lima beans and collards that the kitchen sent to the table as a wonderful lagniappe. If you want to treat yourself to a delicious meal, you must try Cochon.

The bad pig was encountered this morning as Peaches and I made our way over to collect Angelique and head out to do a bit of shopping. These kids don't have a car, so now that I've arrived with my truck they're anxious to occasionally leave the Quarter and explore the largesse available in the suburbs. Driving down Rampart, I switched lanes as there was a truck stopped in the middle of the street, and was pulled over by the cops for failing to use my signal in a lane change. Yes, I got a ticket, which really pissed me off, because it was obvious the cops were just looking to fill a quota. I shook it off and we enjoyed our trip, but now I have to decide whether to fight the ticket or just pay the fine and move on.

Now I'm enjoying the smells of a slow cooking pork roast and anticipating a slice of triple berry upside down cake that Peaches is preparing for our evening repast. I should find out about a job in the next two days, so life is coming together nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment