Friday, June 19, 2009

The Darker the Berry, the Sweeter the Juice



I seem to be on a food kick with my posts this week, but I can't think of a better topic, especially in a city like New Orleans that offers such delightful variety. I mentioned at the end of my post yesterday that I was anticipating a delicious dinner that my friend Brandon put together for us, and once again, he outdid himself.


We picked up a nice pork roast at Rouses last weekend, and he put it in the crock pot before we left the house yesterday morning. Combined with onions, spices, and a kick-ass sauce he threw together, we enjoyed some spectacular sandwiches last night as we watched "The Color Purple". Accompanying the pork was a delicious homemade Cajun slaw that was primarily creole mustard based, which provided a nice counterpoint to the tangy flavor of the pork.


And feast your eyes on dessert:





While Brandon is a dynamic cook, his ultimate talents are best displayed in his baking. He found a recipe for a blueberry upside down cake in a booklet he had in the kitchen, and quickly adapted it to make use of the blueberries, strawberries and raspberries that were on hand. The result was positively delightful. The cake is so moist, and the berries add complexity to the cake without overwhelming it.


I've said it before; food is one of the great pleasures in life, and I'm fortunate to be in the company of a fabulous gormand. Time for some leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment