Sunday, June 7, 2009

Super Luxe Sundays

As I sort and pack my possessions I come across items that remind me of the places that I've lived. This weekend I've had Boston on the brain; today is my friend Christine's birthday, and several people that I knew from my times in the city have reappeared this week to catch up on life's happenings. In keeping with the theme of Super Luxe Sundays, today I decided to spotlight a Boston institution for charming, luxurious gifts and jewlery, Shreve, Crump & Low.


Hailing itself as "The Gem of Boston since 1796", the flagship store is located on the corner of Boylston and Newberry Streets, diagonally across from the entrance to the Public Gardens and a stone's throw from the Ritz Carlton and Park Plaza hotels. Watchmaker John McFarlane opened the original store across the street from Paul Revere in Downtown Crossing in 1796, and consolidated into its present entity through growth and partnerships in the 1800's. I have fond memories of the gazing at the gorgeous displays in the windows that made many a passerby stop and dream, and stepping into the store made me wish my last name was Cabot or Kennedy instead of Smith.


Offering a beautiful selection of jewelry, silver and crystal objet d'art, a glance through the store or the company's website promotes visions of grand, fabulous living. Behold:



Gorgeous Men's Jaeger Reverso watch, available for $21,800.



Antique sterling silver handmade candy dish, available for $750.




Beautiful Baccarat ice bucket, available for $635.


If you appreciate nice things but don't live for luxury, there are many items that are well priced and delightful. And if you're ever in New England and in search of the perfect hostess gift, I always suggest the Gurgling Cod.




These pitchers come in three sizes and were first developed in 1964. Modeled after a traditional English "glug jug", the pitchers make a delightful sound as you pour them and are crafted to show a remarkable likeness to the native fish of New England that's on every menu in town.


So the next time you find yourself in Boston (please don't refer to it as Beantown), stop by Shreve, Crump & Low to feast your eyes on luxury. It's fine if you want to speak through a clenched jaw in an attempt to sound like a Mayflower-descended sophisticate, but for God's sakes don't drop the "r" from your speech pattern...

No comments:

Post a Comment