Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Keep your fork, there's Pie!


My friend and gracious host Brandon is an extraordinary cook. I've been raving about dishes that he's prepared since my arrival in the Crescent City, not only because I find food to be one of life's greatest pleasures, but also to keep the folks back home up to date on his latest culinary adventures. Some of my fondest memories of my time in St. Pete were Sundays spent on the back porch shared by Brandon and Paul, enjoying cocktails and delicious meals while carrying on.

Last week I wrote about the fantastic pork roast Brandon prepared. He saved the stock from the roast and used it yesterday to prepare a hearty soup of black eyed peas, collards, bacon, and tomatoes. The soup simmered away in the crockpot for 6 or 7 hours. Served with cornbread, it was a savory delight. Behold:



And if that wasn't enough, for dessert we enjoyed a delicious cherry pie. Brandon has been going on for a couple of days about pie, and yesterday as we were out for a walk, he picked up some ridicuously priced cherries at Rouses and threw together a prize-worthy confection. He enjoyed ice cream with his slice, but I tend to be more of a pie-purist, and simply had a plate of pie. So you know what's for breakfast this morning...



New Orleans is really hot and steamy right now, but I think it's a blessing in disguise as the weather guarantees that I sweat off some of the calories during my daily walk around the city. Today I head back to the Garden District for a follow-up interview at Commander's Palace; I hope to turn on the charm and get hired as I'm more than ready to get to work.

3 comments:

  1. I hope Brandon approved that picture for national consumption. His glorious golden beauty was almost outshone by that handsome pie.

    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can we see some recipes?

    PUUUUHHHHH-LLEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZEEEEEEE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're KILLING me, just killing me. Oh how I long for a Brandon-made dinner. I was just remembering his Yorkshire pudding from two Christmases ago. Oh such times we had, such times indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll try to do better with the recipes, although Brandon tends to be one of those "little bit of this, little bit of that" type of cooks. And yes, he delightfully approved the picture--I've held on to some other choice shots for future posts.

    ReplyDelete