Tuesday, June 23, 2009

My Inner Sybarite


After a couple of drinks out last night, and a delicious pitcher of iced tea cocktails at home, Brandon suggested we put on an episode of Absolutely Fabulous for a laugh. I ecstatically agreed.

AbFab is one of my all-time favorite shows. Produced by the BBC in the early 90's, with special shows filmed well into this decade, AbFab follows the exploits of Edina Monsoon and Patsy Stone, childhood friends who grew up in the 60's and never let go of the booze, drugs and partying of their heyday. Their exploits are hilarious, and I laugh every time I watch an episode.

There's a part of my inner sybarite that longs to be like Patsy--always in Chanel or Dior suits, "working" at a magazine as Fashion Editor while swilling champagne or vodka and practically eating cigarettes. She's witty and acerbic and I love her. I try not to be as morally bankrupt as Patsy, but I, like her, "love shopping for knick knacks and gorgeous things".

If it's been a while since you've spent time with the ladies, check them out on YouTube or get a season or two from Netflix. Put on your Le Croix, throw back some bolly, and join in the depravity with the twisted, modern day Lucy and Ethel.


No comments:

Post a Comment