Tuesday, June 16, 2009

BYOM (Bring Your Own Meat)

I got a bit of a late start this morning after a night of revelry with Peaches in my new city. After pounding the pavement yesterday and enjoying an early evening stroll through the Marigny neighborhood, I went out to quench my thirst with a polite libation at Good Friends. Once Peaches got off work we wended our way over to the Golden Lantern for a couple of cocktails before heading home to enjoy a late night (early morning) snack to aid in soaking up the liquor.

Having been to New Orleans on numerous occasions before moving here, I always appreciate the promos that the bar owners put together in order to generate business. Flipping through the local rag yesterday I squealed as I saw not one, not two, but three different bars that have a weekly special that invites patrons to bring their own meat to the bar for grilling. I did not make it to Monday's BYOM night at the Phoenix, but plan to attend one of these evenings in the very near future to see who trots in a flank steak or a chicken breast. The image of patrons anticipating a delicious meal as they walk through the Quarter with their meat in a bag or Tupperware container to be skillfully grilled at the local watering hole still has me giggling.

Apparently the New Orleans Bears also hold a weekly bake sale at one of the bars, but I'll leave the details of that for another post...

No comments:

Post a Comment