Monday, June 8, 2009

It's Enough to Drive You Crazy If You Let It

Perusing through the blogs and newsfeeds this morning, I was disappointed to learn that the Living Legend, my girl Dolly Parton, did not win a Tony last night for her muscial adaption of "9 to 5". Apparently almost everything went to Elton John's "Billy Elliot". I haven't seen either show, so I can't comment on the merits of the awards, but I always love to see the Blue Valley Songbird get recognition for her endless talent.

I don't go in for award shows, but reading about the offerings on the Great White Way made me realize that it's been far too long since I've seen a show. I had the pleasure of seeing the original cast in "Wicked" several years ago, and we had front row seats for the revival of "Steel Magnolias", which was a fantastic production.

I love the theater and there's something magical about seeing a show on Broadway. Sure, the touring companies can be good; I've seen "Sunset Boulevard", "Cats", "Les Miserables" and "Hair" in various locales, but nothing holds the charm of hunkering down in a packed house in New York. Plays are one of the great pleasures in life, and I encourage everyone to see at least one show on Broadway.

Looks like I need to find a way to wing it up to New York this summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment