Sunday, July 19, 2009

Super Luxe Sundays


After work last night, I decided to enjoy a libation to relax and unwind, but realized that I needed to step away from the Sweet Tea cocktails that I've been consuming since I moved to the Crescent City. Rather than hop to my old standby, Ketel One, I realized that it's the middle of summer and hot summer nights always beg for a delicious gin and tonic.

While I'm not as much of a proponent for gin as I am for vodka, I do enjoy the occasional gin and tonic. I enjoyed the standard Tanqueray and tonic last night, but my favorite gin is Boodles. While not a standard issue in most drinking establishments, Boodles is, in my opinion, the tastiest gin on the market.

According to Wikipedia, Boodles was named for the Boodles gentleman's club in London. Founded in 1762, the club was originally run by Edward Boodle, and the hooch was purported to be a favorite of Winston Churchill.

I find Boodles possesses a nice flavor of juniper and coriander, and the cocktails always have a nice finish. There was a summer in my wayward youth where I consumed enough Tanqueray that I swore off gin for many years, but Boodles provided a lovely entree back into this part of the spirit world.

Priced appropriately for a Super Luxe Sunday entry, Boodles is distributed in the states by Pernod Ricard. So pick up a bottle at your local liquorteria, grab some tonic, a couple of limes and enjoy a Boodles libation.

No comments:

Post a Comment