Saturday, February 13, 2010

Throw Me Something, Sister!

I woke up fairly late today after a night of revelry with Peaches. Mardi Gras is in full swing here in the Crescent City, and there seems to be an endless offering of parades and activities. The Saints win at the Superbowl last Sunday has added to the Mardi Gras madness, and everyone seems to be in a great mood.


After a polite libation at the Lantern, Peaches and I headed out to watch four parades roll through the City last night. Despite the bone-chilling temperatures, the streets were packed and everyone was clamoring for beads and dubloons from the parade riders. We watched the parades at a great spot near the end of the route, so the crowd was thinner and the folks on the floats were trying to get rid of their throws. We walked away with two huge bags of stuff, and I scored big time by catching not one, but two high heels from the Muses.



The Muses is the only all-female krewe and last night's parade marked their 10th anniversary. The floats were fantastic, and the krewe is known for having great, unique throws. Much like the coconuts thrown by the Zulu, the shoes are highly coveted, and I was amazed to catch two in my first year of Mardi Gras.


Not sure how many more parades I will be able to attend this year, so last night was definitely a highlight of my Mardi Gras experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment