Monday, August 17, 2009

Here we come, on the run, with a burger and a bun


After a three day run of double shifts, I met Brandon out last night for a couple of much-needed libations. Tired, a little cranky, and hungry, we decided to grab some food before heading home as the cabinets are quickly reaching Mother Hubbard status. Typically, late night snacks come from the Verti Mart, located a couple of doors down from our usual watering hole, but their grill was off for cleaning. Fortunately the Quarter has several 24 hour grills that deliver, so all was not lost. Brandon whipped out a menu and treated us to a late night repast of bacon cheeseburgers.


Aware of the fact that the consumption of grease and bread, particulary late night, contributes to my Ruebenesque stature, I shed all thoughts of guilt and shame when we arrived home and opened the to-go boxes. Staring me in the face was a delicious, juicy bacon cheeseburger, topped with swiss cheese and appropriately dressed. I grabbed the ketchup and the mustard and enjoyed the burger with reckless abandon.


I'm a huge fan of cheeseburgers, and summertime is not complete until a few tastily prepared burgers have been consumed. Unlike my rule of one hot dog a year, I could enjoy a burger every day. Brandon receives several food and entertaining magazines every month, and the August issue of Saveur magazine was dedicated to the burger. Page after page is devoted to one of the quintessential American food staples, and each article leaves the reader salivating with a desire to break out the grill or hit the nearest burger joint for some hot beef satisfaction.


I'm not very fond of chain restaurant burgers, with the possible exception of In-N-Out, which makes every burger fresh to order. I do enjoy checking out local restaurants and bars to discover a good burger, as I find these are these places put thought and effort into their burgers, and often show as much care about taste and presentation as one would in his own kitchen. Several weeks ago we dined at the Camellia Grill located off St. Charles Street and enjoyed fantastic burgers. And of course, Quarter crawlers are always guaranteed a tasty treat at the Clover Grill on Bourbon Street (although I still long for the return of Earl the Girl to the counter). There are several other local spots that carry a good burger reputation, and I look forward to trying them all, cholesterol be damned.

No comments:

Post a Comment